Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sleeping baby, nighttime thoughts

As I put my daughter in her crib, passed out with a tummy full of breast milk, I think about how this is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Her peaceful, quiet face is better than the Eiffel Tower lit up during a Paris summer night. Right now we are close, literally as she is asleep in my arms, but also because she needs me. Now I am the most important person in her life -- the source of all things. But how long will that last? As she grows and explores, I hope that I will remain a constant source of comfort and a safe place. That is my goal.

Last weekend, my daughter was baptised. To me, this ceremony was really about starting a deeper life for her, and for ensuring that there are positive people in her life, both spiritually and otherwise. It's important, I think, for girls to have as many strong female role models as possible. I will always endeavour to be the best I can for her. Once she goes out into the world, there will be more negative influences on her than I care to think about -- people ready to introduce her far too young to makeup and dating, people with little self-respect ready to tell her about sex, people who don't like themselves ready to pick her apart. If I do my job well, she'll come back to me, will want talk about all these new things and will actually listen to what I say. Even if I disagree with some of the choices she makes in the future, if she makes them thoughtfully, that's all I can ask.

I'm excited to see the person that she will become. But not yet. I don't want this sleeping baby to grow up too fast. There is far too much of that around -- too many people pushing adult matters on kids who are not ready for it. You only have to see a commercial for the show Toddlers and Tiaras to realize that. Childhood is so short, sweetie. Stay there for as long as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment