Friday, June 20, 2014

Sorry

Sorry, I'm Canadian and a woman. I say sorry a lot. I've said sorry for bumping into inanimate objects. It's comes far too naturally. But it shouldn't. I've said it in the past that I need to say sorry less often and am constantly encouraging and reminding my daughter that she shouldn't say sorry unless she's done something wrong. A wrote a blog entry about two years ago when she was just learning the word. A new ad from Pantene is encouraging women to stop saying sorry. Ads are infiltrating our lives at every turn, so it's nice when one is actually positive. Yes, they are trying to sell shampoo, but that doesn't make it a bad message.


Women say sorry to start conversations, ask questions, for taking up too much space, for speaking and we need to stop. We don't have to punctuate our ideas or our needs by essentially saying, "I hope you don't mind, but...." I could go on but an article at Time.com about the ad and feminine art of apology is dead on. And here is the ad. Click on the links and watch the ad. It's worth your time.


No comments:

Post a Comment